Monday, October 6, 2014

Review of This Is Where I Leave You by Jonathan Tropper


This Is Where I Leave You by Jonathan Tropper is the first book in ages that had me laughing out loud in hysterics. I am so excited a movie was made and I can't wait to watch it. A quick synopsis: Four siblings sit shiva for their father's funeral because it was his last dying request. Throughout the book, they come to realizations about themselves, their families and the people surrounding their lives. Jonathan Tropper has a way of creating characters (pretty much every author I've read does this) that make you think they are real live people that live in your community. It was refreshing to have a male voice tell the story rather than it being from his sister's or his mother's perspective. Jonathan showed the readers (myself included) that Judd Foxman is not the perfect man. I really hope the movie is as good as the book. 85% of the time books are always better than the movies. A) if everything from the book was included into the movie, each movie would be way too long to sit through. If you have yet to read This Is Where I Leave You, read it as soon as possible. You won't regret it! I'm happy to hear it will be rated-R because it just makes the story line even more memorable.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds interesting! Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I watched the film this past weekend and LOVED it. Now I sort of wish I'd read the book first. I almost never read the book after seeing the film because much of the time, the magic is gone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read the book first because I had heard many great things about it! You MUST read the book now! The book is so well-written!

      Delete